Saturday, January 17, 2009

Dane's Journey








Today started off pretty tough for Dirk and I. It's hard to pinpoint exactly why that is, however for me I think it's because I woke up realizing it was Saturday and Dane should have been at his hockey practice. The fact that our superstar skater is done for the season is tough to handle, especially because we know how much he loves hockey. After a few hours of slow moving, we got into our groove and the afternoon has been more upbeat.
I had not intended to post a blog today as we have no medical news to report but that all changed when the kids said they wanted to go outside and play for a while in the "balmy" temperatures. Dane and Ashley bundled up and as you can see from the photos I've included, took wonderful advantage of the fresh snow. I have to say, I NEVER thought I'd take such pleasure in watching my 7 & 8 year olds jump off the swing set into the snow, pull one another on the toboggan or make snow angels. They had a great time outdoors and Dane looks awesome today. The fresh air and exercise did him a world of good - it's been almost two weeks since he's been able to partake in Winnipeg winter activities. Dirk flooded our backdoor rink yesterday so I have my fingers crossed he and Dane will get out for a skate. The doctor and nurse said moving his little legs is very good for him.
Every day we receive email messages from new people and this continues to lift our spirits. We also read all the comments on the blog and sometimes we laugh and other times we cry. We have some very close friends with interesting senses of humor but we love them just the same. Dirk in particular enjoyed a good laugh a few times yesterday.
Thanks for your continued good thoughts.

Janie and Dirk

5 comments:

  1. Great to hear the kids got out and enjoyed Old Man Winter! It was great therapy for everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there Dylan wanted to send a big Hi to Dane and hope that when he is is up to visitors whatever the criteria that she can visit her friend. Thank you for the updates
    Krista, Vince, Logan and Dylan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dirk,Janie,Ashley and Dane,
    Derek and I would like to pass along our good thoughts and prayers to you and your family. Congrats on the May baby girl!
    Blessed wishes and enjoy this beautiful weather with your precious snow angels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wanted you know that my thoughts and prayers are with you, Dirk and your family

    ReplyDelete
  5. Censorship sucks Dane...but I still enjoy a good Sunfest Snow Angel...hammer down Neidermeyer!

    Love Ya,
    T.

    ReplyDelete