Sunday, February 21, 2010

"Odds & Ends"

I'm taking advantage of a quiet house and posting a second blog update this afternoon. I've been having a harder time getting to my typing lately and apparently I'm letting some of Dane's "followers" down . Not to mention any names, but there is this guy I refer to as the "gentle giant" who sometimes frequents the CancerClinic and he is pretty disappointed in my mini case of "writer's block" these past few weeks. So GR, this is for you!

Odds & Ends #1 - When I posted the update about our trip, I forgot to mention that when we were walking to the "Shark Tank", we passed these two women giving away beaded necklaces. The proceeds of their efforts were going to charity, and how do you think we reacted when we saw the sign for that evening's charity ... The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. If that wasn't fate, I don't know what is. We bought Ashley a teal and black necklace which she wore well during the hockey game.

Odds & Ends #2 - I haven't talked too much about our little Ms. Clare lately so here's a quick update. She turned nine months on Feb 11 and although her growth has slowed down, she's still at about the 90th percentile for height & weight (29 inches tall and 22 pounds). She is very active now, crawling all around the house and pulling herself up to stand on furniture, etc. Her sleeping habits are still pretty nasty, but I've been reading the "Baby Whisperer" and am seeing some slight improvements. I can only hope that by the time I go back to work she is sleeping more soundly. I've attached a couple of recent photos. Who do you think she looks like now?? We've been hearing that a lot of folks think she resembles Dane a bit more lately.

Odds & Ends #3 - I figure I better pre-empt the ribbing I'm going to take on this blog from my life-long and much younger pal "Jodi" (as she refers to herself) and fess up now that in short order, I will be hitting my milestone b-day. I'm trying not to think about it all that much, however I am giving myself a special gift. I have decided to enter the CancerCare Manitoba Foundation's "Challenge for Life" as my 40th present to me. Essentially it's me kicking myself in the butt to get more active this year while at the same time raising funds for this amazing organization that has come to mean so VERY much to our family. And given I know she was going to publicy tease me, I told Jodes she had to enter with me! So on June 12, she and I will lace up our shoes and hit the pavement for 20 kms. I've got some serious work to do between now and then but I am really looking forward to the challenge. I've created a personal page for my fundraising that you can access from the following link if you are interested. Thank you!


Until next time, take care - Janie & Dirk

1 comment:

  1. Jodi and the Martin 5February 22, 2010 at 11:02 AM

    Oh for the love of God, you have just opened up a huge can of worms for me.....

    There are a few issues that must be discussed and/or commented on first. I will begin by saying that Clare still looks more like Ashley, however the new photos are likely making the Kidd clan breathe a little easier. She does have a little of Dane and Janie in her as well. A true mix. Considering she is up all night long, she looks well rested and happy. 40 and 41 year old parents likely do not, so we are feeling your pain....

    The Canada/U.S hockey game was, well, a bust, however the intensity paled in comparison to Dane's showing at St Vital arena Sat afternoon.

    Two things;

    1) Janie is a crazy competitive, lunatic fan, and always has been. Don't say WE were overzealous, 'cause Dirk's few GO Dane's were muffled by your raucous cheering and your face paint. I am positive, it was Dirk who enlightened you on the fact that you were nutso. I think it is more than just a marker for Dane's strength, genetically you come by it honestly,...it is Mr. Dave Kidd personified. That being said, I do LOVE Mr.Kidd 'cause god know's his comments lit a fire under my lazy ass many a time...and I myself, have been known to go a little ape shit over The Game of Life and a few small horse racing games.

    Dane is doing just fabulously, and whether super zippy or not, he tears up the ice in so many ways. Just the mere fact that he is skating, and smiling, with heart and courage is inspirational enough. Enjoy the ride, and trust that he is doing just fine. It is 8A1 hockey.

    We loved the game, however both boys and hubby left saying "thank God we wear cleats".... I saw the show last year at Ashley's 2 tourney game's so was prepared, they were not. I am taking the day off, to buy Noah a new blankie and Jake a stuffie for comfort, after that one....

    2) Janie is not THAT much older than me. I too am turning 40, (although much later in the year). Thanks to some misguided but maybe true comments, that I received last week from an overweight, disheveled, dermatologist that I might add, looks NOTHING like Christian on Nip/Tuck,...I am pushing 60.... All this after I went in to ask about a sun mole... This leads me to say YES I will be walking with Janie, but likely a hell of allot slower as my cane and Tender Tootsies may have difficulty keeping pace. Cripes.

    3) Dirk has bailed on a 40th birthday trip to Vegas and he got off easy on Sat, from us. I would prefer to walk the freakin 20 km soliciting donations, on the strip, and then celebrate holding a Tequila shot with my two favorite Jimmy's. Jimmy Buffet,and a new pair of Jimmy Choo shoes, but not so.... Terry is still pining, so may have to meet up with us via skype at The Thunder From Down Under venue where Jo-Anne and Vince will be standing in line with us to score some front row seats. hmmmmm think again, Dirk!!!

    4)When I get around to it, I need to set up a fundraising thing too, so because I am NOT Dashing For Dane this year perhaps you can all send a little love my way as well. God knows I will need it after the "coach" and her hubby read this. I am a little scared to walk with Janie because what happens if my lace unravels and I need water????..... please all pray!!!

    xoxoxo Auntie Jodi ( I am accepting sole and soul responsibility for this entry)

    ReplyDelete